Wednesday, February 11, 2009

HELP..Budget, Job and life


As I sit here snacking at my desk..I realize I have champagne taste on a beer budget. The things that I want don't fit my income. I didn't realize how bad I had gotten until my boyfriend talked to me last night. He said babe..you want to buy something that is 5% of your yearly income! If you were making $50,000 a year then I wouldn't say anything..but you don't so I think that its silly to spend that much on one item. As much as I said I didn't agree..that I COULD splurge and still be OK..I knew in my heart he was speaking the truth.



Normally things like that go in one ear and out the other..part of that is because I have a bad memory and the other part is because it's not supporting what I really want to do..therefore I don't want to hear it! But as I laid in bed last night and thought about it..he is 100% right..I am not living within my means.

Once I got to work..I figured making a budget is one part of my problem. I don't know what I am working with...I figure that should help me get my money in order. My next question was how? I mean I know how..literally..but how to do it and make it work. I am really really bad at following any budget I have ever made. I just make sure bills are paid and don't ask any other question as to where the rest of my money goes..which isn't good at all. I figured best place to start would be my monthly income. That's a joke in itself....



Now while I am happy to say I have a job in these hard times, I'm ashamed to tell you how much I make..lol. I bring home every month a little over $1000 ( and when I say little..I mean little). In some cities that isn't enough to even cover the rent! Lucky me I live in a city where the cost of living is next to nothing and things are pretty inexpensive. I also must mention that I do have health insurance and my 401K taken out of my paycheck as well as extra money to the IRS (owed $ one year on taxes..that's not happening again). That still only takes away about an extra $100.00 each check. With all that out there..where do I start?

Do I try to go to school and start a career, get a 2nd job for a few years and save like crazy or become a super penny pincher and live off of what I am making now? I think the budget will help me on a month to month bases and show me where my money is going..but I still feel I need a permanent fix for my money issue, which is more income.

I hope that some of you that have been successful with you budgeting can kick a few tips my way and hopefully by the end of this weekend I will have my first budget. I'll let you guys know how it goes.

No comments: